Black Cardamom is a spice with an intense, slightly sweet flavor that some people compare to mint.
It originated in India but is available worldwide today and used in both sweet and savory recipes.
The seeds, oils and extracts of cardamom are thought to have impressive medicinal properties and have been used in traditional medicine for centuries.
Here are 10 health benefits of cardamom, backed by science
- Antioxidant and diuretic properties may lower blood pressure
- Contain cancer-fighting compounds
- Protect from chronic diseases thanks to anti-inflammatory effects
- Help with digestive problems, including ulcers
- Treat bad breath and prevent cavities
- Have antibacterial effects and treat infections
- Improve breathing and oxygen use
- Lower blood sugar levels
- Other potential health benefits of cardamom
- Safe for most people and widely available